How many times have you asked yourself this question?
Whatever the answer, know that you’ll be ok. Panic and anxiety are everywhere these days and it can be hard to know when our nervous system is helping us get out of danger or has simply been hijacked by an untrue narrative.
I’m going to be honest with you for a moment: I still struggle with anxiety and panic. It’s not an everyday thing but it creeps up when I least expect it and there are times when I feel like I’m suffocating.
In those moments, I rely on tools and practices that I know will calm the mind and body…and I love myself enough to actually deploy them. No shame.
Here’s a short list of my personal anti-panic/anxiety tool kit:
- Meditation. Even something as simple as following my breath or a guided meditation when I’m really ‘out there’.
- Body Sensing: It’s been clinically proven that focusing on objective reality (the touch of the air on your skin, etc.) reduces panic attacks and anxiety symptoms.
- Essential Oils: Lavender for day. Sandalwood for night.
- Ritual: Lighting a candle and doing a body sensing exercise, chanting a Sanskrit mantra, moon salutation, etc. All these things are rituals that I know by heart and can draw upon to ground myself when anxiety and panic want to take over.
- Music: Good In/Good Out, right? It can be very helpful to listen to relaxing music (and take deep breaths) in a time of panic. (as a special gift, you can listen to my latest anxiety-reducing playlist HERE)
And, most importantly, I resist the urge to fight the anxiety. It’s awful and of course we want it to be over asap but fighting against it won’t make it go away any faster. Feel what you need to feel. Cry it out. Yell if you need to (into a pillow).
My gurus have taught me that there are no good or bad feelings….they are all messengers and it’s better to feel them, metabolize, and learn. Otherwise they become lodged inside and it’s a lot harder to get them out. 🙂
If you struggle with anxiety, you are not alone. I invite you to be brave and build your own anti-anxiety tool kit.
If you’re looking for some expert guidance getting started, I’d be happy to talk to you. Simply schedule a consultation HERE and we can form a game plan for your own healing.
With all my love,
Founder, Worn-Out to Warrior